Monday, March 17, 2014

Put Down The Extra Baggage!

Recovery Christian Center Daily Meditation - 3/17/14 - Put Down The Extra Baggage!
"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NLT
One of the wonderful blessings of recovery and a personal relationship with Christ is that we find that living this spiritual life is so much simpler that the self destructive patterns we came from. We can put down the baggage of shame, guilt, grief, pain, anger, resentment, fear, pride, ego, etc. We can begin to pick up the much lighter load of joy, selflessness, God centeredness, self esteem and self respect, dignity, and God awareness that come from a spiritual life.
The problem for many of us is that we too often try to carry both. We are still holding on to the heavy, self destructive mess while trying to balance the spiritual character as well. It becomes the spiritual equivalent of running up a descending escalator with a full suitcase. In other words it doesn't work very well.
It's time to let go of the overwhelming and totally unnecessary burden of the old life in favor of the much lighter, much simpler, much more rewarding new one. Freedom my not be free but it is far less costly than bondage.
Find us on the web: @ www.recoverychristiancenter.org
on Twitter: @RevDrCMKimmenez

No comments:

Post a Comment